List of required Android skills

There's not much information on the web about what skills are required for Android development. A lot of people just give very high level skills like Java and XML. Others just point to the google documentation as say something like 'learn it all'. I think there is too much there to take on in its entirety, especially if there are areas that you are just not going to work on for the next while such as NFC. Then again I don't want to short change myself either by leaving too much stuff out. To that end I have made a list of skills that I want to master. Once I get to the bottom of this I will feel able to call myself an Android developer. I will flesh the items out as I go along and will repost the list as it changes.


Build arbitrarly complex layouts

Services Bound service
Started service

Broadcast receivers Create own (with custom broadcast)
Respond to a system one

Database

Shared preferences

Intents Create an intent filter


Content providers

Threads Use Thread class
Use Async Class

Performance management Use of traceview

Action bar Use the action bar (on emulator only maybe)

Compatibility library Get understanding of all functionality in this


Notifications Status bar
Toast

ListView

Custom Compenents Demonstrate familiarity with all methods of doing this
Come up with a useful one and publish it

Styles and themes How to make own
How to inherit from or just use the platform ones

Dialogs Ability to create all types

Animation

Manifest Understand all tags


Media Playing music and video

Maps

Widgets

Search


Testing


Tools


Webapps


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a choropleth map for Irish agricultural data

Early Stopping with Keras

AutoCompleteTextView backed with data from SQLite in Android