GPS Game for cyclists - 2

Well when I went for a cycle yesterday to test out my new GPS game things did not go according to plan. I was just collecting the GPS data from the activity, so when the activity was not in the foreground (for example when I switched off my screen and put the phone in my jersey) the gps collection stops. A pretty fundamental mistake. I have substantially modified the code to consist of a simplified Activity for which you can start and stop GPS collection (and effectively the workout) and a service which does the actual collection.
This works well now (at least before I go out on the bike). When I start the data collection service an icon appears in the status bar telling me that the service is running. I can then leave the activity and do other things and collection will continue. When I am ready to stop the data collection I pull down the status bar and click on the notification. This brings me to the simple activity from where I can stop proceedings.
Lots more to do on this, but made good progress today.
The code is still available here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a choropleth map for Irish agricultural data

Early Stopping with Keras

AutoCompleteTextView backed with data from SQLite in Android