GPS Game for cyclists

I do quite a bit of cycling and inevitably this leads to thinking about logging and recording these activities in an interesting way that would motivate me to be more consistent in my exercise. When I was an engineer we used Pareto Charts to work out which problems on the equipment were the most pressing and needed our attention. This involved looking at the impact of each problem on the output of the system and ordering this list from biggest impact to smallest. I want to create a program which will create a Pareto style chart of my cycling where my exercise is sorted by speed of each second. An interesting goal for a high intensity session might be to draw a vertical line down this chart at some point and aim to get above that amount of 'high intensity' work. High intensity being defined as above some threshold of speed.
It turns out that the GPS receiver in my phone also gives speed numbers. I modified an earlier piece of code for logging my location to also include the speed. Next I added a new activity to show a table of the 'qualifying values'. That is the values that were above the threshold that I had set.
If you look at this chart you will see that I have set 20 km/h as the threshold. Any cycling above contributes to the goal. Which would be something like - cycle above 20 km/h for 20 minutes.
So it is coming along. I am logging all of my speeds and I have a grid which displays all qualifying times. Needs a bit of polishing no doubt, but it will be a fun thing to play around with. Might even help me get a bit fitter in the process.

So if you are interested in taking a look at this code it is here:

http://code.google.com/p/gps-bike-game/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a choropleth map for Irish agricultural data

Early Stopping with Keras

AutoCompleteTextView backed with data from SQLite in Android