Tips for passing Oracle Certified Associate in Java 8

I decided to do this exam a few months ago. I have been a Java developer for over 10 years, so this was overdue.

There are a few simple steps and quite a lot of work.

First get a book

I used this one on Kindle. Kindle is the perfect format for this stuff as you can read snippets while you wait at the bus, checkout etc.
Read it through cover to cover. I did not do the exercises on this pass, I was just making sure that I could understand almost everything in there.
Next you should either do the end of chapter exercises, or write small programs to test your understanding. Don't start taking mock exams too early.

Mock exams

These are absolutely required to test your knowledge. I used these ones. I (like most of the people whom I spoke to about this) found I did not know the material as well as I thought. The huge plus for the Enthuware mock exams is that they explain in detail why you were wrong. Take your time understanding why you made the mistakes you did. Don't rush the exams. There are a limited number of them in the download and you can get used to how to answer that set without being prepared for the real exam.
The Enthuware software also builds up a picture of where you are weak and where you are strong. After a couple of mock exams you can check where you are weakest and concentrate on those areas.

The exam

Once you are passing by a decent margin you can go ahead and take the exam. There is plenty of advice on the immediate preparation for the test in the book I recommended.

Good luck!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Building a choropleth map for Irish agricultural data

Early Stopping with Keras

AutoCompleteTextView backed with data from SQLite in Android